If you are new to essential oils here is a quick guide to help you get the most out of using them. The best way to achieve results using the essential oils is through daily use. Think ‘Little and Often’! This daily use will also help lessen the severity of sickness when it does arise and is the best way to prevent illness in the first place.
However, just like any family medicine cabinet, there are some directions and precautions, especially if you are pregnant, lactating or if you plan to use them on small children and babes!
- Do not let essential oils get into your eyes, however if it happens, do not use water to flush it out as this will drive the oil deeper into the tissue! Try using another carrier oil to flush it out.
- Citrus oils will increase sunburn – wait 24-72 hours before exposure to sun if applying oils topically to your skin.
- Layer the oils when blending and applying topically – this is the key to topical application and blending and the results will be better. Apply carrier oil lastly over the top of the essential oils.
- Less is more! 1-3 drops is usually enough, in some cases up to six.
- Absorption is the fastest through inhalation, then through the soles of the feet as these have the largest pores on the body. Layering can also increase the rate of absorption.
- Xrays can change the frequency of oils so be careful when travelling through airport terminals.
- Essential Oils can last for years and years if you keep in a cool dark place and keep the lid on. (Frankincense was found intact in Tutankhamun’s tomb!).
- For bath use, use a bath gel, bath salts or unperfumed castille soap (I like Dr. Bronner’s) to disperse the oils evenly in the water, especially when bathing with infants.
- Do not use Oregano for more than ten days in a row as it is very caustic.
- Some immune strengthening oils can initially create a “detox effect”. Do not let this turn you off! This is a good thing! The Detox symptoms usually do not last for long and in most cases are very mild.
- For quick usage, apply oils to fingertips and breathe deeply.
- For SKIN issues think FLORAL oils (lavender, geranium etc)
- For MOOD think CITRUS oils (wild orange, bergamot, grapefruit etc)
- For SICKNESS think HERBS (oregano, thyme etc)
- For PAIN think TREES (birch, white fir etc)
- Heavy Dilution = approx. 1-3 teaspoons of carrier oil with 1 -2 drops of essential oil.
- Avoid: Basil, Birch, cassia, cinnamon, rosemary, thyme & wintergreen.
- Dilute Heavily: Black Pepper, cedarwood, clary sage, clove, cypress, fennel, marjoram, myrrh, oregano, peppermint & vetiver.
- Avoid Peppermint & Spearmint as mint oil reduces breast milk supply!
iNFANTS AND TODDLERS
- Dilute Heavily: Black Pepper, cassia, cinnamon, oregano and thyme.
REMEMBER: Everyone has different underlying causes for their condition – so what may work for one person may be different than what works for another. Listen to your nose! You will find what works for you, and the great thing is, there are no nasty side affects for trying different single oils and blends!
I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with EO’s …. Please leave a comment if you feel like chatting!